Monday, March 23, 2009

A walk through Reliance Mart

Let me start with a disclaimer: this is not written with a motive to discredit Reliance or any other retailer, rather it’s a self study to understand the Indian retail scenario.

I walked in at about 10:30 at the six month old Reliance Mart store in crown Interiorz Mall. The motive was to check out the supermarket format from Reliance, I had in the past visited Reliance Fresh and Trendz models but the Mart was a first.

The place is strangely quiet perhaps my choice of a Wednesday morning is the reason or the store’s inability to play some music is to blame.

I start my walk through the aisles which are wide and quite a treat. The product display though is not upto the mark; I see dust all over and torn product information tags. Also a little further into the furniture section ….I find a console with a broken glass panel still on display. That is a BIG No No that can’t be excused. It brought to an abrupt halt to a hitherto nice experience in the furniture section.

I moved on to a section which had some gift items and knick knacks….sadly most of the shelves were empty or had the same product repeated over and over. Infact there would have been 50-70 odd pieces of a small dusty looking elephant that looked like he needed a bath desperately.

Moving onto the clothes and accessories section, I find unkempt shelves, shoddy HOT spots and very uncommunicative staff who don’t even bother to check if a customer may need some assistance.

Passing through I reach the groceries section where I ask a passing staff member if sodexho food coupons are accepted at the store. The person nods and moves on. I pick up a few items and wander through to the billing section. Of the twenty odd counters only two seem to be manned though by now the time is close to noon.

I present my purchase and the sodexho coupons only to be told that they are redeemable againt food items, something that the previous staffer had neglected to mention. I present the credit card which is swiped atleast 9 times on three different machines before the payment can be made.

Billing for a purchase of 5 products worth Rs.269 takes almost ten minutes and two staff members to execute. I wonder what they will do in peak hours with more traffic in the store.

Overall: The store overall looks nice, is spacious and the categories are cleverly marked through circular signages hanging overhead. Where it needs a lot of tweaking is in personnel management and intelligent product placement.

7 comments:

Mampi said...

I do not know what you would call it in your jargon but I happened to go to one of their marts in my city and they objected to my big shoulder bag. Was it appropriate on their part? I, on my part, asked them to get me a comment book so that I could pen in my grievance about it. I told them I objected that I was told that I should leave my bag out.

Priyanka said...

your grievance is justified. No woman wants to leave her handbag out. However typically in self serve stores of this nature biggish bags are held back due to security and pilferage reasons. People have been known to take big bags and then put products in them without the outer cover to prevent discovery.

Iya said...

Priyanka - so this is what u have been upto while missing from ur other 2 blogs.. new love I say..

First, I’ll answer Mampi - they objected for 2 reasons - security and shop lifting. Even then u can’t be asked to part with ur handbag.

Coming to the post - inadequate handling of billing is one of the major menaces the organized retail is facing. there have been times when I have stood for almost 20-30 mins to get to my turn. Looks like this store in particular is not yet on the roll. only that can explain the dust and the broken glass panes..

Coming to the Blog in general - I think it’s a great medium to record your learning’s and observations and also throwing in a fair amount of analysis.. I have been thinking of writing about marketing for a while now.. maybe ur blog will give me adequate motivation..

Priyanka said...

Hey Iya,

thanks for the comment and visit. Would love to see your blog on marketing too....so pleaaaaaaaase do get inspired soon...

Disneypal said...

Wow - I can't believe the place was in that kind of shape after being in business only 6 months. What is it going to be like in 6 more months?

It is good that you were there on a Wednesday when it wasn't quite as busy.

Parry said...

You cribbing about this place, you need to see the size of the aisles,lack of direction finders and general shopper melee at the Big Bazar of EDM East Delhi. Isse Kharab aur sadela aur kuch nahi ho sakta!!!

Priyanka said...

disneypal....thanks for the visit...yeah i was actually wondering if I should go and check it out on a weekend too. But then I thought it could only be worse so desisted.

Pinknblu: Been there done that. completetly agree too but that still doesnt excuse the shoddy behaviour at this one.