Monday, March 16, 2009

Retail Consultant- who the hell is that?

When asked “what do you do?”
I answer that ‘I am a Retail Consultant’. This nearly always fetches me blank stares till I go further and explain that my line of work involves everything from the retail layout to the communication inside a store.
Those who are slightly communication savvy understand this. Those who are not, interpret it as designing Malls and Shops.

This oft faced confusion prompts me to explain what exactly my job is:
A retail consultant is an individual or agency that helps determine a retail strategy for stores or other types of retail businesses. Usually, the goal is to increase sales by driving more people to the store and attracting them to products once there. A retail consultant may deal with promotions, merchandising, store design, location and even some personnel decisions.
Being a retail consultant may seem like a focused task, but in reality it is not. Marketing, promotions, HR, store design and merchandising are all specialized areas. Where a consultant comes in is to be able to tie –up all these specialties in a focused manner which enhances the brand/store experience.

No comments: